Popy Hazarika is an Indian feminine weightlifter with a number of medals in weightlifting. She works in Indian Railways.
Popy Hazarika was born on Tuesday, 8 December 1998 (age 24 years; as of 2022) in Namti Salkathoni village, Sibsagar, Assam, India. Her zodiac signal is Sagittarius. She practiced discus and javelin throw throughout her childhood in her village. She went along with her pal Dimpy Dutta to a weightlifting coaching camp at Swahid Peoli Phukan Faculty close to her village and met the coach Duljit Boruah.
Peak (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 60kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Mother and father & Siblings
Her mom’s title is Dipti Hazarika. Her father handed away on account of an electrical shock when she was 10 years outdated. She is the youngest of 4 sisters.
She began coaching below the coach Duljit Baruah in 2013 and improved considerably inside a really brief time. She weighed solely 35 kgs when she began coaching and inside just a few days, began choosing weight nearly equal to her physique weight. When she received the gold medal within the district meet in 2014, her coach Duljit Baruah stated,
“Popy’s peak was good at a younger age and since she competed in athletics earlier, she didn’t face any issue within the operating classes earlier than coaching. The principle drawback was lack of correct weight-reduction plan which hampered her weightlifting coaching initially. We’d usually contribute to get dietary supplements for the youngsters. Although there was just one set for coaching, she would practice after the opposite children left. When she grew to become the district champion lifting 30 kg in snatch and 40 kg in clear and jerk, she stored the medal in her pocket to indicate it to her mom first.”
She was enrolled at SAI Coaching Centre, Golaghat after being chosen in a expertise hunt scheme. She educated below the SAI coach Om Prakash Kalyani on the Golaghat coaching centre. She received medals in lots of weightlifting competitions and after her medal in a state weightlifting competitors, her coach Om Prakash Kalyani stated,
“When she grew to become state champion within the 48Kg class, she picked 50Kg in snatch and 60kg in clear and jerk. Her benefit was her peak and the preliminary velocity with which she lifted the bar. She was a pure athlete and would practice on her personal throughout operating drills for constructing stamina. The one drawback I confronted as a coach was the necessity to inspire her continually. We knew it was very robust for her household and like every teenager, she would additionally soften down. However then we might all the time discuss in regards to the subsequent medal, which nonetheless stays the case.”
She began coaching on the nationwide camp in Delhi and received many medals in senior competitions. Nationwide Chief Coach Vijeta Sharma stated about her,
“Her essential energy is that we do not have to inspire her. She has seen a lot battle that she is aware of that she has to work laborious. Her physique weight was a bit much less for her peak as she didn’t get correct weight-reduction plan and dietary supplements at a younger age. So, our first job was to get her correct weight in line with her peak. She has an explosive velocity when it comes to approach however we would have liked to work on her second pull. As she spends extra time within the nationwide camp, I imagine she is going to get extra assured in addition to transfer to the next weight class, which can go well with her much more in line with her peak.”
She met her idol Mirabai Chanu on the nationwide camp and began coaching alongside her. She stated about Mirabai,
“After I first got here to the camp, it took me just a few days to appreciate that I get the possibility to coach together with the likes of Mira didi. Seeing her follow with a lot dedication motivates me and I observe her approach carefully.”
She completed in seventeenth place within the 59 kg class of the 2021 World Weightlifting Championships held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, and at seventh place within the 59 kg class of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Video games.
- 2014: district meet
- 2016: Assam State Weightlifting competitors within the 48 kg class
- 2022: Senior Nationals in Odisha within the 59 kg class
- 2022: Singapore Weightlifting Worldwide Competitors within the 64 kg class
- 2022: Khelo India Ladies Video games at Nagrota, Himachal Pradesh within the 59 kg class
- 2018: Junior Nationals in Nagpur within the 59 kg class
- 2020: Senior Nationals in Kolkata within the 59 kg class
- 2021: Senior Nationals in Patiala within the 59 kg class
- 2021: Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan within the 59 kg class
- 2022: thirty sixth Nationwide video games at Gujarat within the 59 kg class
- She received the Sports activities Achiever award for the Northeast Frontier Railway zone in 2022
- When she began coaching, she used to coach for 3 hours within the morning and three hours within the night. There was just one tools set for 12 kids, so she would practice after others left.
- In 2018, she nearly stop weightlifting to hitch Assam Police to assist her household. Remembering that second, she stated,
“Coaching kar kar ke thak gayi thi. Bus apni mom ke liye kuch karna chahti thi (I used to be drained coaching on a regular basis. I needed to do one thing for my mom). That is why I critically thought of giving the Assam Police recruitment a strive earlier than my pal Dimpi and coaches sat with me and made me take into consideration my weightlifting profession. I understood that it is a lengthy wait in any sport and if my mom can assist 4 of us all these years, I couldn’t go away weightlifting halfway.”
- Her mom labored as a short lived cook dinner on the village college at a wage of Rs2500 per thirty days and labored often within the rice fields on a each day wage of Rs150-200 to assist her household.
- She shared balms, kits, and sneakers along with her pal Dimpy Dutta at SAI Coaching Centre, Golaghat, Assam and would journey by practice to economize.
- Her coach Duljit Baruah despatched her weightlifting tools price Rs53000 throughout the COVID-19 pandemic in order that she will be able to practice commonly.
- She spent Rs23000 to do a pooja and prepare a village feast when she joined Railways in 2021.
- On 18 December 2018, she arrange a nationwide junior report by lifting 84 kgs within the Junior Nationals in Nagpur within the snatch kind lifting within the 59 kg class and on 4 February 2020, she arrange a nationwide senior report by lifting 94 kgs within the Senior Nationals in Kolkata within the snatch kind lifting within the 59 kg class.