Jaswant Singh Gill (1939-2019) was an Indian engineer-in-chief who risked his life to avoid wasting 65 coal miners in the course of the coal mine tragedy in Raniganj, West Bengal, in 1989. The rescue operation is taken into account India’s first profitable coal mine rescue operation.
Sardar Jaswant Singh Gill was born on Wednesday, 22 November 1939 (age 80 years, on the time of demise) in Sathiala, Amritsar, Punjab, India. His zodiac signal is Sagittarius. From class 1 to 4, he studied at an Urdu Faculty in Amritsar, Punjab. He then accomplished his class 12 at Khalsa Faculty, Amritsar, Punjab, India. In the identical school, he pursued BSc Non-Medical (1959). He then attended Punjab College, Chandigarh. From 1961 to 1965, he did commencement in Mining Engineering on the Indian Institute of Expertise (Indian Faculty of Mines), Dhanbad, Jharkhand. In 2018, he attended Khalsa Faculty, Amritsar, to pursue LLB. Nonetheless, he couldn’t full the diploma as he handed away in 2019.
Top (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Salt&Pepper
Jaswant Singh belongs to a Sikh household.
Mother and father & Siblings
His father, Daswandha Singh Gill, was a senior clerk on the postal division in Amritsar, Punjab. His mom’s identify is Sardarni Preetam Kaur Gill. He had two brothers named Kulwant Singh Gill (ret. financial institution supervisor) and Dr Harwant Singh Gill (D. Ortho, retired as SMO from the PCMS Faculty). He had two sisters; Narinder Kaur, who was a retired headmistress, and Dr Raminder Kaur, who was a pathologist and former HOD at Rajindra Medical Faculty, Patiala and GMC, Amritsar. Jaswant Singh was the fourth little one of his mother and father.
Spouse & Youngsters
On 19 October 1969, he obtained married to a lady named Nirdosh Kaur. The couple had two sons and two daughters. Certainly one of his sons Sarpreet Singh Gill is a Physician, PGC Cardiology at Johns Hopkins USA, and one in every of his daughters’ names is Poonam Gill.
After finishing his commencement in mining engineering, he obtained a job supply from the coal agency Chand Thapar & Bros (coal Gross sales) Ltd. After working there for a number of years, in 1972, he began working at Coal India Restricted as an engineer. After a number of years, he was promoted to Sub-Divisional Engineer after which Govt Engineer at Coal India Restricted. Later, he was promoted to Chief Normal Supervisor ED (Security & Rescue) at Coal India Restricted, Raniganj, West Bengal.
Coal Mine Rescue Operation 1989
In 1989, Jaswant was working as a Chief Normal Supervisor ED (Security & Rescue) at Coal India Restricted, Raniganj, West Bengal. On 13 November 1989, whereas 220 coal miners have been working at a coal mine in Raniganj, West Bengal, throughout a collection of blasts to interrupt the coal mine, somebody by accident touched the higher seam of the mine, as a consequence of which water began flooding the mine . Within the ruckus, out of 220 miners, 71 miners have been left trapped within the borewell and others evacuated from the mine instantly. Quickly, the shafts began flooding with water wherein 6 coal miners drowned, and 65 coal miners have been left trapped.
When Jaswant Singh arrived on the website, he determined to avoid wasting the lives of 65 miners at any value. He then got here up with the concept of making a metal capsule which might assist in evacuating one individual at a time. Instantly, a borehole of twenty-two inches in diameter was drilled by which the capsule might journey. After a day-night effort of two days, the capsule was prepared. Jaswant Singh had briefed the rescue course of to 2 rescue males, however on the final second, they ran away. Jaswant Singh then determined that he would stick with it the rescue course of on his personal. He then requested the chairman of Coal India Ltd. to provide him permission to enter the metal capsule, however the chairman was not able to threat Jaswant’s life. Nonetheless, Jaswant satisfied the chairman. The chairman then mentioned,
The person who rescues these miners, his identify will likely be written in golden letters within the historical past of mining.”
On 16 November 1989, at 2:30 am, Jaswant entered the capsule and went down into the borewell to avoid wasting the trapped miners. Throughout an interview, Jaswant’s son shared that when his father shared the entire incident with him. Whereas sharing the incident, Jaswant’s son mentioned,
At 2:30 am, on the evening of 16 November 1989, my father entered the Capsule to go down right into a sure demise entice. Virtually 100 thousand individuals who had by now gathered on the website shouted slogans to encourage him. Because the Capsule started its descent, the torque within the new metal rope began relieving and made the Capsule spin at a excessive velocity in a clockwise movement after which in an anticlockwise movement. It was a nerve-wracking endeavor, but my father conquered his concern with sheer dedication and focus. In about quarter-hour he reached the pit backside as a handbook winch was getting used to decrease the Capsule.”
His son additional shared how Jaswant Singh saved the miners one after the other. He mentioned,
As quickly as he opened the entrance hatch of the Capsule, he noticed 65 scared faces in entrance of him with the concern of impending demise writ giant on their faces. He caught maintain of the closest employee, put him into the Capsule and signaled with a hammer he was carrying for the Capsule to be hoisted up. He then turned to the remaining miners and requested if any of them was injured or sick. The primary 9 tokens got to those that had accidents and those that had a fever. He then requested for the hierarchy of the employees and gave out tokens from the junior most to the senior-most employees and informed them that he would vacate the mine final after sending all of them out one after the other.”
After evacuating all of the miners, Jaswant Singh got here out from the borewell within the final. The entire course of took round 6 hours. Later, he assisted in one other rescue operation of 14 miners trapped within the coal mine at East Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya. Jaswant Singh retired from his providers at Coal India Lt. in 1998, and in 2008, he was appointed by the Catastrophe Administration Committee, Amritsar, Punjab, India, as one of many members of the catastrophe administration committee. On 26 April 2018, he began working because the President of Rotary Worldwide.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 1991: Sarvottam Jeevan Raksha Padak by the then President Ramaswamy Venkataraman
- 2005: Limca E-book of File because the nationwide document holder for probably the most profitable & largest rescue operation in mining historical past
- November 29, 2009: Lifetime Achievement Award for Mining by the Indian Faculty of Mines Alumni Affiliation (ISMAA), Delhi
- November 1, 2013: Lifetime Achievement Award and Rs 1 lakh by the then Union Minister Sri Prakash Jaiswal
- 2013: Swami Vivekanand Award of Excellence
- December 24, 2014: Excellent Companies to Humanity Award from Harman Academic & Social Welfare Society, Amritsar
- June 7, 2018: World E-book of File, London, UK, for Largest Coal Mine Rescue operation
- 2018: Indian Iconic Award by Actual Flavors Media Group
- 2019: Satisfaction of the Nation Award, Delhi
- Could 12, 2019: Honorary Doctorate (PhD) by Common Achievers College, Tamil Nadu
- Vijay Rath Nationwide Award from IICM, Ranchi
- Excellence in Security Award from Coal India Ltd, Kolkata
- Bhagat Puran Singh Award from Guru Arjun Dev Mandal, Patiala
- Farishta-E-Kaum Award from Sache Patshah Journal, New Delhi
On 26 November 2019, he suffered a cardiac arrest at his residence in Amritsar, Punjab, India. His antim ardaas (final rites) have been carried out at Gurudwara Chhevin Patshahi, A/B Block, Ranjit Avenue, Amritsar, Punjab, India.
- Jaswant Singh is often known as ‘The Capsule Gill.’
- In India, 16 November is marked as ‘Rescue Day’ to commemorate the rescue operation carried out on by Jaswant Singh in 1989.
- In 2019, he was invited to the speak present ‘Josh Talks’ (Punjabi), as a visitor speaker.
- In reminiscence of Jaswant Singh Gill, an award Jaswant Singh Gill Memorial Industrial Security Excellence Award was began with award cash of Rs 50,000.
- A chowk on Majitha Street in Amritsar, Punjab, India, can be named after him.
- In his remembrance, a memorial gate at Kunustoria Space, Jap Coalfield Restricted, and a backyard in ECL West Bengal are constructed. A bulletin can be launched in his reminiscence.
- On 11 April 2022, his portrait was unveiled on the Sikh Museum within the Holy Golden Temple. The occasion was attended by his relations.
- Throughout an interview, whereas speaking about making a biopic on Jaswant Singh Gill, his son mentioned,
In 2017, he (Jaswant) was approached by Tinu Desai from Mumbai, who had directed the Bollywood film Rustom with actor Akshay Kumar and supplied to make a Hindi film on the rescue. Sadly, my father handed away on 26 November 2019, following a large cardiac arrest.”
- In November 2022, the primary look of the biopic on Jaswant Singh Gill was shared within the media. The movie is directed by the Indian director Vashu Bhagnani. The Indian actor Akshay Kumar was roped in to painting Jaswant Singh within the movie. In a tweet, whereas speaking in regards to the movie, Akshay Kumar wrote,
Grateful to you @JoshiPralhad ji, for recalling India’s first coal mine rescue mission – at the present time 33yrs in the past. मेरा सौभाग्य है कि मैं #sardarjaswantsinghgill जी का अपनी अपनी फ़िल्म निभा रहा हूँ. It is a story like no [email protected]”
In a tweet, the director of the movie Vashu Bhagnani tweeted,
Remembering Late #SardarJaswantSinghGill on at the present time, who rescued the lives of miners who have been caught within the coal mines of Raniganj underneath very troublesome circumstances. It’s certainly an honor and privilege to showcase his heroic act in our subsequent movie.”