BV Nagarathna is an Indian lawyer who was elevated to the submit of Justice of the Supreme Courtroom of India on August 26, 2021.
Wiki / Biography
Bangalore Venkataramiah Nagarathna was born on Tuesday October 30, 1962 (age 59; as of 2021) and is from Engalaguppe Chatra, Pandavapura in Mandya District, Karnataka. His zodiac signal is Scorpio. Till grade 10, she attended Sophia Excessive College in Bangalore. Subsequently, she accomplished her education at Mehta Vidyalaya in Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. She cherished village life as a baby when she visited her father’s household dwelling in Engalaguppe Chatra.
Later, she enrolled at Jesus and Mary Faculty in New Delhi, the place she obtained a bachelor’s diploma in historical past. Subsequently, she pursued an LLB on the Regulation College of the College of Delhi. After finishing her research, she returned to her hometown of Bengaluru, throughout this time her father served as Chief Justice of India in New Delhi.
Hair shade: Black
Eye shade: salt and pepper
BV Nagarathna’s father, ES Venkataramiah, was the nineteenth Chief Justice of India. His mom’s identify is Padma Venkataramiah.
Girl & Youngsters
BV Nagarathna’s husband known as BN Gopala Krishna. Collectively, they’ve two daughters, Nayantara BG, who works as a lawyer, and Prerna BG.
On October 28, 1987, BV Nagarathna registered as a lawyer on the Karnataka Bar in Bangalore (now Bengaluru), Karnataka. In the identical 12 months, she started her profession as a lawyer by becoming a member of KESVY and Co., a agency that gives authorized providers in Bangalore, beneath the steerage of lawyer Vasudev Reddy and senior lawyer GV Shantharaju. From 1994 to 2008, she was an impartial lawyer, intervening in numerous fields similar to arbitration, land acquisition, service regulation, household regulation, administrative regulation, constitutional regulation, business regulation, and many others. Nagarathna additionally offered her providers as amicus, and whereas serving as amicus in Bangalore, she actively labored for the rejuvenation of varied lakes within the metropolis; an amicus is an individual who supplies authorized help to a court docket. As well as, she has served as chair of varied committees, together with the committee overseeing the business court docket, the juvenile justice committee and the committee overseeing the implementation of the POCSO regulation.
Decide of the Excessive Courtroom of Karnataka
BV Nagarathna was appointed a further decide of the Excessive Courtroom of Karnataka on February 18, 2008. On February 17, 2010, she was elevated as a everlasting decide of the Excessive Courtroom of Karnataka. She was appointed decide by KG Balakrishnan and he or she was appointed by Pratibha Patil. She was a decide on the Excessive Courtroom of Karnataka till August 30, 2021.
Justice of the Supreme Courtroom of India
In August 2021, an necessary choice was taken by the school led by CJI NV Ramana, which recommends the names of three girls for the appointment of the judges of the Supreme Courtroom of India, together with Decide BV Nagarathna. It was a landmark choice as BV Nagarathna was more likely to lead the judiciary in 2027, which might make her India’s first feminine chief justice. On August 31, 2021, BV Nagarathna, together with eight different judges, was sworn in earlier than the Supreme Courtroom of India. She was nominated for the submit by NV Ramana and nominated by Ram Nath Kovind.
For the primary time in Indian historical past, 9 new Supreme Courtroom justices are sworn in without delay. With three girls, Decide BV Nagarathna, Decide Bela M Trivedi and Decide Hima Kohli administering the oath of workplace, the Supreme Courtroom secured 4 feminine sitting judges, breaking the earlier file of three sitting feminine judges. After being appointed a Supreme Courtroom Decide, she was invited as the principle visitor to the inaugural daycare operate on the Civil Courtroom Complicated in Bengaluru Metropolis. The crèche was created for the advantage of the kids of attorneys and court docket employees. Nagarathna authorized the primary such facility in a court docket advanced when she was an administrative decide on the Bangalore Metropolis Civil Courtroom.
- Noting the rise of sensationalist information, in 2012 Nagarathna ordered the federal authorities to think about the potential of regulating broadcast media in India, via a statutory framework.
- Sri Jagadev Biradar v Karnataka State (2016): A divisional court docket composed of Decide BV Nagarathna dismissed the Karnataka authorities’s enchantment, which questioned the decision of overturning the automobile taxation regulation at engine (modification), launched in 2014. The court docket dominated that the state authorities couldn’t require homeowners of non-Karnataka autos to pay a lifetime tax for utilizing their autos in Karnataka past 30 days, citing held that state regulation violated part 246 (3). Nonetheless, the ordinance reaffirmed that homeowners of non-Karnataka autos must re-register their automobile in Karnataka with the required lifetime tax if these autos are used past 12 months within the state.
- The Tobacco Institute of India v Union of India (2017): The Karnataka Excessive Courtroom overturned the 2014 modification guidelines that required pictorial well being warnings to cowl 85% of a tobacco product’s packaging, citing that ‘they violated constitutional requirements. Beforehand, the warning rule had been notified by the Union Ministry of Well being. A division bench comprising BV Nagarathna dominated that the Union Well being Ministry didn’t have the judicial energy to make such amendments. Nonetheless, the court docket stated the illustrated 40% warning rule, which existed earlier than the amending guidelines, would stay in impact.
- Sri Mookambika Temple v M. Raviraja Shetty (2018): a three-judge excessive court docket headed by Decide BV Nagarathna dominated that the temple was not a business institution; due to this fact, its workers weren’t entitled to a bonus beneath the Cost of Bonuses (PG) Act 1972. The court docket made this statement by citing the provisions of the Karnataka Outlets and Industrial Institutions Act 1961 (KS&CE), which doesn’t embody Hindu non secular establishments.
- In 2020, the Karnataka Excessive Courtroom upheld the state authorities choice ordering private and non-private universities to undertake a uniform technique for selling college students within the center semesters of undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The coverage has been put in place to make sure the elimination of any issue sooner or later profession development of scholars because of the completely different strategies adopted by universities.
- In 2021, a division bench led by Decide BV Nagarathna rescinded a round issued by the Karnataka Energy Transmission Company Restricted (KPTCL), which talked about that an worker’s second spouse or her youngsters weren’t eligible for appointment to compassionate floor if the wedding befell through the sustenance of the primary marriage. Granting these youngsters equal rights and safety, the court docket stated:
We add that no little one is born into this world and not using a father and a mom. A baby has no function to play in its beginning. Subsequently, the regulation ought to acknowledge the truth that there will be illegitimate mother and father, however no illegitimate youngsters.
In 2009, BV Nagarathna, the Chief Justice of the Excessive Courtroom of Karnataka, PD Dinakaran, and a Senior Decide have been detained on the Excessive Courtroom of Karnataka by a gaggle of protesting attorneys. The attorneys have been indignant after they seen that regardless of a name to boycott all proceedings in state courts, Dinakaran was attending the hearings. Following allegations of corruption, accumulation of belongings and severe irregularities through the examination of circumstances towards PD Dinakaran, the Bangalore Attorneys Affiliation declared a boycott of the courts. It was reported that Nagarathna was manhandled, in the meantime, Dinakaran had a pointy object thrown at him, inflicting an harm. After the incident, whereas addressing the general public, Nagarathna stated:
We can’t be intimidated like that. We now have taken the oath of the Structure ”
Info / Anecdotes
- In November 2013, Decide N Kumar and Decide BV Nagarathna visited the Karnataka Compost Growth Company unit in Kudlu, close to Bommanahalli, to suggest a sensible method to waste disposal.
- She was as a consequence of retire on October 29, 2024, until she was elevated to the Supreme Courtroom, as all SC judges are granted a three-year extension.
- In her heartfelt farewell deal with to the Karnataka Excessive Courtroom, Decide Nagarathna motivated the ladies to belief one another and transfer ahead. She stated,
The message from this sheet of my guide that I need girls activists to be aware of is that with entry to the precise alternatives, every of you may make your goals come true. Subsequently, I urge every of you to hunt out these alternatives, armed with religion in your self and transfer ahead to attain no matter you need and in addition give again to society.