Amrit Singh is an American human rights lawyer of Indian origin who directs the mission on nationwide safety and counterterrorism on the Open Society Justice Initiative. In 2006, she made headlines for her outspoken marketing campaign towards the Bush administration’s contempt for civil liberties. She is the daughter of Manmohan Singh, an Indian politician from the Congress celebration who served because the thirteenth prime minister of India.
Amrit Singh was born in 1970 (age 52 years; as of 2022) in New Delhi, India. From 1989 to 1991, she attended the College of Cambridge in England, the place she pursued a BA (Hons) in Economics. She pursued an MPhil in Economics College of Oxford (1991-1993). She earned a Juris Physician (JD) from Yale Regulation College, Connecticut (1998-2001).
Top (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Amrit Singh belongs to a Kohli Sikh Household.
Mother and father & Siblings
Her mom’s title is Gursharan Kaur. She is the youngest of three sisters. Her sister Daman Singh is a author, whereas Upinder Singh is a historian.
Husband & Youngsters
She is married to an American.
From September 2001 to August 2002, she served as a Judicial Regulation Clerk at the US District Courtroom, Southern District of New York. Singh started her journey as a lawyer in July 2002 when she enrolled with the New York State Bar Affiliation. In 2002, he joined the non-profit group American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) as a Employees Lawyer for the Immigrants’ Rights Venture; she served at ACLU until 2009. There, she litigated immigrants’ rights and nationwide safety circumstances like post-9/11-related abuses, together with landmark litigation that uncovered the dimensions of Bush administration’s torture practices. She co-authored Administration of Torture: A Documentary Document From Washington to Abu Ghraib and Past (2009), which alleged that the Bush administration condoned torture within the wake of the 9/11 terror assaults. She filed papers asking a federal choose to order the White Home, the FBI, and different authorities businesses to provide all data of their possession referring to the destruction of two videotapes by CIA operatives in 2005 in addition to transcripts and summaries of the tapes. The tapes confirmed harsh interrogations of two prisoners in US custody, Abu Zubaida and a Saudi nationwide named Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, who was the sufferer of a joint US-Polish rendition operation. In 2006, she was additionally acknowledged for her work within the Ali vs Rumsfeld case, which was filed towards US Protection Secretary Rumsfeld on behalf of Iraqi and Afghan detainees who have been tortured in American custody. In September 2009, she joined the Open Society Foundations’ justice department in New York as a Senior Authorized Officer. Open Society Foundations (OSF) is a grantmaking community based and chaired by enterprise magnate George Soros. OSF financially helps civil society teams all over the world, with a acknowledged intention of advancing justice, training, public well being and unbiased media. At Open Society Justice Initiative, Singh conducts strategic litigation, documentation, and advocacy on human rights points referring to counterterrorism measures akin to difficult extremism, freedom of expression restraints, extrajudicial killings, rendition, torture, and arbitrary detention. She additionally oversees tasks on financial justice, anticorruption, and freedom of knowledge, affiliation and meeting, Liberty and Transparency division of the Justice Initiative. Certainly one of her notable circumstances consists of Nashiri v. Poland case. From Might 2011 to July 2014, Singh served as counsel on behalf of al-Nashiri in proceedings earlier than the European Courtroom of Human Rights towards Poland and Romania. In October 2002 al-Nashiri was captured in Dubai, UAE, and secretly transferred to CIA custody following which he was tortured in secret CIA prisons. On 20 April 2011, United States navy commissions prosecutors introduced prices towards him stating their intent to hunt the demise penalty in his case. Singh’s efforts led to a judgment in al-Nashri’s favour, which was delivered on 24 July 2014. In 2012, ‘Globalising Torture: CIA Secret Torture and Extraordinary Rendition’, a report by Amrit Singh printed by the Open Society Justice Initiative, obtained nice consideration in worldwide media for exposing the worldwide torture community.
In February 2016, she was elevated to Director of Accountability Division at OSF. In the identical 12 months, she authored Eroding Belief: The UK’s Forestall Counter-Extremism Technique in Well being and Training
Amongst different circumstances, she has been counsel in litigation looking for for the homicide of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was assassinated on the Saudi accountability consulate in Istanbul on 2 October 2018 by brokers of the Saudi authorities, allegedly on the behest of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. She additionally efficiently challenged Egypt’s emergency regulation, torture and arbitrary detention practices earlier than the African Fee on Human and Peoples’ Rights. She has served as a visiting lecturer in regulation at Yale Regulation College and New York College. In 2022, she moved to London, the place she began serving as a visiting school at Transnational Regulation Institute, Kings Faculty London. In April 2015, she penned Loss of life by Drone. The report casts severe doubt on whether or not President Obama stored his 2013 promise that acknowledged “there should be near-certainty that no civilians will likely be killed or injured.”
- In 2006, she was honored on the South Asian Bar Affiliation of New York Awards.
- In 2012, she obtained the India Overseas Particular Award for Excellence.
- In 2013, US resident Inderjit Singh, a member of Sikhs For Justice (SFJ), claimed that as Indian finance minister Manmohan Singh had funded a number of counter-insurgency operations in Punjab in the course of the Nineties which resulted in 1000’s of Sikhs being killed extra-judicially by the safety forces. Subsequently, SFJ filed a depart movement pleading to permit service of summons on his daughter Amrit Singh, who’s a everlasting resident of the US, by various means on the defendant. Decide James Boasberg within the District of Columbia approved the service of summons on Amrit Singh within the rights violation swimsuit in 2014.
- In April 2019, Bharti Jain, a journalist at The Instances of India, tweeted making severe allegations of fraud and the complicity of former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by saying that his daughters Daman and Amrit drew a wage from the Nalanda College (NU) as school members whereas staying within the US. In a sequence of tweets, Bharti Jain made severe allegations of monetary misconduct and nepotism towards Nobel laureate Amartya Sen. Thereafter, Reality-checking web site Alt Information Desk clarified that the assertion was false.
Two extra colleges have been appointed, honorary, Daman Singh & Amrit Singh. Center & youngest daughters of Manmohan Singh..They stayed in USA whereas drawing wage
— Bharti Jain (@bhartijainTOI) April 28, 2019
- In 2020, the Rajiv Gandhi Basis got here underneath public scrutiny for receiving donations from international organizations following which he was accused of compromising the sovereignty of a nation. It was found that China had paid the Rajiv Gandhi Basis (RGF) over Rs. 1 crore in the course of the UPA regime. Moreover, Deep ties have been found between Congress and George Soros, the philanthropist who declared conflict on nationalism and nationalists. The hyperlinks revealed that George Soros, by his complicated community of NGOs, had a disproportionate affect over the Congress celebration. Accordingly, Amrit Singh additionally got here underneath public scrutiny for her affiliation with George Soros’s OSF.