Sure, we all know the Kawasaki KX250X is designed to be a cross-country racer. Nevertheless, we do what many demanding path riders do—purchase a high-performance dust bike and go using for the sheer enjoyable of it. So, we loaded up the up to date 2023 Kawasaki KX250X—learn our protection of the enhancements right here—and rode it on all the pieces from wide-open desert to the tightest single-tracks and even did some bushwhacking. This is what we came upon:
- Kawasaki tweaked the 2023 KX250X’s engine for extra low-end energy this 12 months, and that is the place we wish the muscle. Kawasaki engineers diminished the diameter of the consumption valves by a millimeter, diminished their pitch, and straightened the consumption duct. This pressurizes the consumption, serving to with low-rpm punch. The header pipe is 100mm longer than final 12 months’s, and the magneto rotor’s second of inertia is elevated—leading to a smoother supply of horses. Whereas which will compromise absolutely the top-end energy, we are going to take that commerce day-after-day in the true world.
- Though based mostly on the motocrosser’s engine, the KX250X powerplant is rider-friendly, because of its personal off-road-oriented engine mapping and three energy modes. Sadly, switching between Normal, Exhausting, and Tender modes requires getting off the bike and swapping couplers—an inexcusable inconvenience, given the handlebar push-button mode modifications on aggressive bikes. Additionally, if you wish to arrange your personal mode, you need to fork over $775 for the Kawasaki KX FI Calibration Equipment and plug within the controller. The Yamaha YZ250FX has a free Wi-Fi enabled smartphone app for that job. As a result of we have been concentrating on path using, we used the Tender coupler solely.
- The timing is superior a tad to mitigate high-rpm energy loss. After we revved into 5 figures, we weren’t upset by the output out there. When you get the motor spinning at hypersonic speeds, all you need to do is hold upshifting shortly and benefit from the rush.
- The DOHC motor pulls properly from simply above idle to over 12,000 rpm. The broad unfold of energy is well managed in tight quarters, but the motor is able to sing when introduced with open terrain. There aren’t any hiccups alongside the best way, although the ability will increase progressively moderately than linearly, offering an thrilling journey. The torque curve is reassuringly flat, so the motor responds to the throttle at any rpm.
- Our first rides have been on chilly days—at the least to us in Southern California—and the KX250X’s engine is cold-blooded. With the thermometer studying 50 levels, it’s essential to crack the throttle to get issues going, and even nurse it till the engine will get heat sufficient to idle by itself, which is uncommon for an EFI powerplant. As soon as as much as working temperature, it is by no means a difficulty. Nevertheless, you may’t simply draw back from idle—the motor desires only a little bit of throttle or it could stall.
- Kawasaki raises 1st gear’s ratio a bit. As path riders, this is not one thing we needed. Final 12 months’s first gear was already excessive on technical rides, and elevating the ratio much less the impression of the low-rpm torque enhance and throttle response delivered by the engine updates. To compensate, we slipped the clutch greater than we anticipated. Conversely, as speeds picked up, we might keep in first gear a bit longer than anticipated. After all, our largest want is a six-speed gearbox, as a substitute of the five-speed the KX250X has. If we will not get that, we might accept a wider ratio five-speed gearset. Sure, we all know it is a racebike, however the motor’s broad powerband is able to exploiting the benefits of a wider-ratio cluster.
- With the upper first gear, the clutch will get extra of a exercise, which it could deal with. We’re large followers of the texture of the comparatively new hydraulic clutch and single-disc spring, and this 12 months it will get a brand new pushrod for lighter motion. The pull is not extreme, and the gradual engagement permits for exact energy supply. We have been abusive with the clutch when crucial, but it by no means complained about our harsh remedy.
- The ability supply accommodates short-shifter and revvers alike. Brief shifting offers you a pleasant, straightforward, and controllable journey. Do you have to select to faucet into the highest third of the powerband, maintain on—issues get attention-grabbing quick. Lugging alongside is simply an issue while you need that burst of energy to elevate the entrance finish over an impediment. The KX250X’s engine requires some revs when that occurs, which isn’t at all times an possibility on treacherous terrain. You possibly can’t blip the throttle at idle and get a critically lofted entrance wheel. This is among the causes we would like a decrease first gear for path using, regardless that the KX250X is billed as strictly a racer.
- The 2023 Kawasaki KX250X’s off-road pleasant engine will get a like-minded chassis. Though it is a supercross-based chassis, the excellent KYB suspension is tuned for off-road using. The 18-inch wheel means a higher-profile rear tire for fewer pinch flats. You may count on the KX250X to be a bit nervous at desert speeds, but it isn’t a difficulty till you attain the very high of the rev vary in fifth gear. Desert rats will instinctively add a steering damper and be happier for it, although you may wish to suppose twice about that if you happen to head for single-track in the summertime. The only-track followers will love the turning manners of the KX250X, which does not require extreme ahead motion of the rider on the seat for it to steer confidently.
- The Dunlop Geomax AT81 tires are nice for all-around using, and are an ideal match for the engine’s energy supply. The softer suspension helps the 110mm AT81 hook up, so acceleration is predictable and steady. After we have been darting between creosote bushes within the desert, we steered the KX250X with the rear wheel, whereas the entrance tire went exactly the place we pointed it. On mountain trails that always change consistency—hardpack to sand to rocks and extra—the AT81s saved the day, providing excellent cornering traction from the facet lugs, entrance and rear. We solely had issues within the mud, the place the knobs have been reluctant to shed the sticky goop after we acquired to dry terrain. Except you journey in monochromatic situations and like a single-dimension tire, you may be proud of the AT81s.
- The absolutely adjustable KYB suspension motion at each ends is plush with out a mushy feeling. It refuses to drop too far into the stroke over repeated bumps, maintaining the angle of the KX250X even and maintaining loads of suspension journey on the prepared. The KYB suspension is very pliable, decreasing fatigue over punishing terrain. Positive, in case your journey features a few laps across the native MX monitor you may wish to crank up the compression damping and hope for the perfect from the springs on jumps and whoops.
- On trails, the suspension does a implausible job. The KYBs hold the rider snug, placing energy to the bottom within the rear, and letting the entrance wheel monitor confidently. While you hit the small-to-moderate path whoops, it swallows them up properly, so long as you carry some velocity.
- At velocity within the desert, the suspension stays tall within the stroke and is prepared for sudden high-speed terrain incivility. You possibly can normally get by with lifting the entrance finish over washouts and letting the rear shock suck it up. Sand whoops do not disappear, although you will not be bottoming out as you energy by way of them. The one time we bottomed the fork suspension was on some brutal downhills with abrupt transitions on the backside. G-outs are dealt with with aplomb. In any other case, the suspension happy varied riders, although you may at all times fine-tune the damping and spring-preload if in case you have particular preferences or necessities.
- The Nissin/Braking deceleration combo is robust and predictable. The KX250X will get its personal entrance brake pads, and so they do precisely what you suppose they’re going to do while you tug on the lever. The rear brake will get further kudos for not skidding the tire till you need it to. The brakes are in such concord with the four-stroke engine that you simply by no means take into consideration them—they work on pure instinct.
- We’re followers of the adjustability of the 2023 Kawasaki KX250X’s ergonomics. The brand new KX250X will get new, wider footpegs—an awesome platform when the going will get tough. The Renthal Fatbar may be mounted in your selection of 4 positions over a 35mm vary, and the footpegs may be remounted 5mm decrease, which taller riders will wish to do immediately—the chassis is compact within the inventory configuration. Talking of the handlebar, there isn’t a sprint—not even a low-fuel warning gentle. The seat is snug and doesn’t get in the best way.
- We’re blissful path riders on the 2023 Kawasaki KX250X. The engine is terrific, and the chassis makes you’re feeling like a greater rider than you could be. It is maneuverable while you need it to be, but not twitchy at velocity. The plush suspension and clean energy do not put on you out prematurely, so all-day rides are within the playing cards. We might be blissful to race the KX250X in GNCC—give it a wide-ratio six-speed transmission, we would be inspired to line up on a west coast GP beginning line even sooner. The newest KX250X is not the proper path bike, and it isn’t designed to be. Till we get a purpose-built KLX250X, the KX250X certain is a enjoyable motorbike while you’re simply out to have some high-performance enjoyable in a variety of settings.
Images by Kelly CallanRIDING STYLE
- Helmet: Alpine Stars SM5
- Goggles: EKS Model EKS-S
- Pants + Jersey: Alpine Stars Fluid Narin
- Gloves: Alpinestars Full Bore
- Physique armor: Alpinestars Bionic Professional V2
- Knee braces: Alpinestars Bionic-10 Carbon
- Socks: Fly Racing Knee Brace
- Boots: Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro
2023 Kawasaki KX250X Specs ENGINE
- Sort: Single cylinder 4 stroke
- Displacement: 249cc
- Bore x stroke: 78.0 x 52.2mm
- Compression ratio: 14.1:1
- Beginning: Electrical
- Fueling: EFI w/ 44mm Keihin throttle physique w/ twin injectors
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Clutch: Hydraulically actuated w/ coned-disc spring
- Last Drive: Chain
- Body: Twin spar aluminum
- Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar
- entrance suspension; journey: Compression- and rebound-damping adjustable KYB 48mm inverted fork; 12.4 inches
- rear suspension; journey: Linkage-assisted absolutely adjustable KYB piggyback reservoir shock; 12.4 inches
- Tyres: Dunlop Geomax AT81
- Entrance tire: 80/100 x 21
- Rear tire: 110/100 x 18
- Entrance brake: Semi-floating 270mm Braking petal disc w/ 2-piston Nissin caliper
- Rear brake: Single 240mm petal disc w/ single-piston Nissin caliper
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 58.3 inches
- Rake: 27.8 levels
- Path: 4.8 inches
- Seat peak: 37.2 inches
- Floor clearance: 13.0 inches
- Gas Capability: 1.6 gallons
- Moist weight: 240 kilos
- Color: Lime Inexperienced
2023 Kawasaki KX250X Worth: $8599MSRP
2023 Kawasaki KX250X Evaluation Picture Gallery