The Kawasaki Versys 650 LT returns with electronics and fairing updates for 2022. The favored adventure-style, pure-street, sport-tourer based mostly on the Ninja 650 continues its mission to offer all-around efficiency at a four-figure worth. Whereas the 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT is not even near an all-new bike, it is up to date, and that is sufficient to encourage us to go on some lengthy rides to take a look at the brand new options.
- As quickly as you flip the important thing on the 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT, you see one of many new options—the 4.3-inch TFT sprint. Leaving the LCD sprint to historical past, the brand new TFT show is vibrant, simply learn, and has day and night time modes for 24-hour legibility. It has the same old array of data, along with your pace, the motor’s rev depend, and the gear place proven most prominently. The TFT feels a bit small, counting on the excessive decision to render small fonts used for much less essential data readable.
- The brand new sprint might be paired along with your smartphone. We used it with the Kawasaki Rideology app on an iPhone 12 Mini, which paired readily. The app would not present the adjustment capabilities to the Versys 650 LT that varied Kawasaki 1000s get pleasure from. The first advantage of the app on the 650 LT is monitoring upkeep intervals. Trip logging continues to be greatest completed utilizing apps equivalent to Relive or Rever.
- Simply to the appropriate of the gear place readout and above the arcing tachometer show is proof of one other new characteristic—traction management. As an alternative of energy modes or an IMU, the brand new 649cc parallel-twin will get three fundamental traction management modes—Mode 1, Mode 2, and off. Mode 1 presents lowered intervention, leading to a bit snappier (and snatchier at decrease rpm) throttle response. In Mode 2, the throttle smooths out fully, with a facet impact of barely slower acceleration. For pleasant using, Mode 2 works fairly properly, whereas Mode 1 and “off” add a style of aggression so you may sustain with sooner pals. These traction management settings are way more delicate than energy modes, although they make a perceivable distinction when using.
- The engine is unchanged, and we adore it as it’s. The venerable energy plant is properly sorted out. It has a properly rumbling really feel, and would not really feel fussy or buzzy at any rpm. Whereas using arduous, we’d unexpectedly hit the 10k rev limiter, because it revs freely and with out drama. On the different finish of the powerband, there’s good grunt at low rpm, making it straightforward to trip in all conditions. From idle to the redline, there are not any hitches, hits, or flat spots within the energy supply. Energy does tail off on the high finish, so shifting no later than 8000 rpm is an effective technique for max efficiency. Nonetheless, it is good to have the overrev when wanted.
- The six-speed transmission is flawless, with completely spaced ratios. We just like the help and slipper features of the clutch, and the oft-overlooked Optimistic Impartial Finder is a wonderful characteristic within the Kawasaki canon. If you happen to’re at a cease in first gear, elevate the shift lever, and it goes into impartial each time.
- The brand new fairing will get the identical styling remedy because the Versys 1000 SE LT+. Extra angular than up to now, the 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT’s fairing suits proper in with the massive brother within the Versys LT lineup. It retains the wind off the decrease half of the rider’s torso and would not trigger any turbulence. We rode the 650 LT at excessive speeds in sturdy, gusty winds with no points.
- Augmenting the up to date fairing is a brand new, four-position windshield. The sweep of adjustment is barely over three inches, making an enormous distinction. Within the lowest place, the windshield lets loads of air by way of the rider’s higher physique, with the fairing performing most wind safety duties. Transfer it as much as the highest slot, and prolonged 90+ mph blasts throughout abandoned roads are a bit of cake. The windshield’s form retains the blast off the rider’s chest and helmet—topic to your construct—whereas permitting simply sufficient breeze by way of to maintain the rider cooled and engaged. A bigger windshield is a $175 possibility, and long-torso riders would possibly discover it to their liking.
- The brand new windscreen is way simpler to regulate than the final 12 months’s. As an alternative of getting to spin knobs, your proper index finger pushes a launch button to the appropriate of the sprint. Then, your left hand strikes the windscreen into any of 4 notched positions. Kawasaki frowns upon making changes whereas using, because it requires you to tank each palms off the grips. Although we concur with Kawasaki’s warning, we are able to report that it is attainable.
- Though probably not a practical change, the tail part will get an identical angular remedy. Lighting is now LED throughout, with new taillights that get alongside higher with the saddlebags.
- Ergonomics are unchanged on the 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT, and that is fairly alright. This bike is immediately comfy. The handlebar bend is broad with a satisfying rise, whereas the footpegs are a contact ahead and excessive. The seat foam is soft, and when you scoot again on the seat, there’s some decrease again assist. This all provides as much as a seating place that feels good for chunks of a whole bunch of miles.
- The intuitive dealing with of the Versys 650 matches the pleasant ergonomics. The 25 levels of rake and 55.7 inches of wheelbase sit in a pleasant pocket. Solely outliers will describe the Versys’ dealing with as agile or stodgy. It has a just-right really feel for sport-touring that lets you trip aggressively ought to the necessity come up or the urge hit you, whereas permitting for a forgiving trip whilst you’re taking within the sights.
- Kawasaki stored the suspension touring-friendly on the 2022 Versys 650 LT. Plush to the purpose of sponginess, the 650 LT’s suspension errs on the facet of consolation. Certain, you may crank up the spring preload at each ends. Nevertheless, there is no adjustment to the compression damping, so it’s possible you’ll introduce some unintended penalties. Actually, the rebound damping is simply there, just like the spring-preload adjustment, to accommodate the added weight of a passenger. Aggressive braking will introduce loads of dive from the inverted Showa fork, so going quick is greatest completed by easy using. When the pavement will get iffy, you will respect how the suspension—which has practically six inches of journey at each ends—sucks up the imperfections and retains the rubber on the highway.
- The Dunlop Sportmax D222 rubber will get the job carried out, with the 17-inch wheels providing you with loads of improve choices. Sure, you may trip shortly on the inventory D222s, and so they work properly within the moist. Whereas the D222s aren’t aspirational tires, they’ll serve the proprietor properly throughout break-in—the rider and the bike. After that, it is improve time. The D222 is an previous tire design, and you are able to do significantly better from Dunlop and different producers.
- The braking is ideal for sport touring. The preliminary engagement of the Nissan calipers’ pads on the 300mm petal discs is mild for the informal trip, with the stress ramping up as your grip on the lever will increase. They are not pure-sport brakes, as it is a sport-touring bike. The rear brake has nice really feel, and a talented rider can exploit that for improved deceleration.
- When the Versys 650 LT is new, the facet baggage might be difficult to unmount. One would assume that, by now, this drawback can be solved, however we had to make use of some forceful encouragement to get them to launch the primary few occasions. Getting them again on earlier than they’re damaged in can be an disagreeable activity. Taking the baggage on and off a couple of dozen occasions probably smooths the method out, as they have been no drawback on different LTs we have ridden. The luggage are nice baggage carriers, and haven’t any drawback housing my Scorpion Exo-R1 Air Carbon helmet. As you may see, they give the impression of being good and did not want restyling when the fairing and tailpiece had been up to date.
- If you’re on an extended trip, ignore the Vary readout and depend on the gasoline gauge. The Vary estimate is erratic, making it unreliable. We have seen two ’22 Versys 650 LTs with the issue, so it appears to be like like a software program difficulty. There’s nothing like watching your vary go from 177 to 109 miles within the blink of a watch, or seeing a claimed vary of 236 miles when you have got lower than half of the 5.5-gallon tank left.
- The 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT is a multi-purpose device. It makes an excellent light-weight sport tourer, a totally competent sportbike, and an excellent commuter. The tallish 33.3 seat peak—2.2 inches larger than its Ninja 650 brother—offers you a commanding view of the proceedings wherever you are using. The ability, dealing with, and ergonomics, all level towards doing all of it, whereas the $9999 price ticket makes the Versys 650 LT approachable to many.
Pictures by Kevin WingRIDING STYLE
- helmet: Scorpion Exo-R1 Air Carbon
- Jacket: The Trek by tour master
- Again safety: Safe-Tech
- Gloves: Tourmaster Switchback
- Denims: Noru Kodo
- Boots: Tourmaster Answer WP
2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT SpecsENGINE
- Kind: Parallel twin
- Displacement: 649cc
- Bore x stroke: 83 x 60mm
- Most torque: 45 ft-lbs @ 7000 rpm
- Compression ratio: 10.8:1
- Valve practice: DOHC; 4vpc
- Lubrication: Semi-dry sump
- Fueling: EFI w/ two 38mm Keihin throttle our bodies
- Transmission: 6-speed w/ Optimistic Impartial Finder
- Closing drive: Sealed chain
- Body: Metal Trellis
- entrance suspension; journey: Spring-preload and rebound-damping adjustable Showa 41mm fork; 5.9 inches
- rear suspension; journey: Laid-down linkage-less spring-preload and rebound-damping adjustable KYB shock; 5.7 inches
- Tires: Dunlop Sportmax D222
- Entrance tire: 120/70 x 17
- Rear tire: 160/60 x 17
- Entrance brakes: 300mm petal rotors w/ 2-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 250mm petal rotor w/ single-piston caliper
- ABS: Customary
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITY
- Wheelbase: 55.7 inches
- Rake: 25 levels
- Path: 4.3 inches
- Seat peak: 33.3 inches
- Gas capability: 5.5 gallons
- Curb weight: 503 kilos
- Coloration: Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Flat Spark Black
2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT Value: $9999 MSRP
2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT Evaluation Photograph Gallery