Practically 5 years in the past, Ducati took a radical step and launched the Panigale V4—its first common manufacturing four-cylinder-powered superbike. Since then, the MotoGP and World Superbike tech-laden platform has acquired updates nearly yearly to create a extra approachable machine. This 12 months, the 2022 Ducati Panigale V4 and V4 S take the mission of a friendlier superbike to coronary heart, with almost each facet of Bologna bullets tweaked, making them probably the most potent and welcoming variations but.
For 2022, Ducati engineers honed the Panigale V4 S, refining its aerodynamics, updating chassis geometry, improved gearbox ratios, adjusted suspension setup, revised rider aids, and new ergonomics. Ducati insiders declare all of it provides as much as a massively highly effective bike deftly wielded by mere mortals and professionals alike.
I packed my baggage and headed to Spain’s famed Circuito de Jerez – Ángel Nieto to see if these rumors of a kinder 2022 Ducati Panigale V4 S have been true. Whereas nonetheless a superbike by way of and thru, I found that it’s a machine that’s simpler to journey for me and also you in moist, combined, and dry circumstances. Now, time to get on with the Quick Details.
- The 1103cc Desmosedici Stradale 90-degree V4 engine is a murals. Since its introduction, Ducati’s V4 engine earned its accolades truthful and sq., because of its lusty twin-pulse firing order and gyroscopic-force-defying counter-rotating crankshaft. In the meantime, the big 216 horsepower at 13,000 rpm and 91 ft-lbs of torque at 9500 rpm seize you by the scruff and catapult you off any apex with out hesitation. Maybe Ducati’s most interesting trick is making these jaw-dropping energy manufacturing numbers appear approachable. Its suave torque methods and genuinely spot-on fueling assist you to management its magnificent energy with better confidence.
- Refined modifications lead to extra efficiency. An up to date oil pump and oil circuits are new to the fold, decreasing parasitic energy loss, aiding in its quick-revving skills. As well as, the exhaust retailers are 18 % bigger to decrease backpressure. Taken collectively, an extra 1.5 ponies have been unleashed.
- A fast caveat on energy figures—the North American Panigale V4 makes a claimed 210 horsepower at 12,500 rpm and 91 ft-lbs of torque at 11,000 rpm attributable to EPA noise emissions guidelines. There’s a chilly actuality for high-performance bikes stateside, as noise restrictions negatively impression peak energy numbers. No superbike in america is immune, and it’s a case-by-case state of affairs as to who manages it finest. To Ducati’s credit score, the emissions hit barely phased the spec sheet.
- I rode European spec bikes at Jerez. Once we’re speaking 200+ hp on the crank, a couple of lacking ponies from the V4 coral most likely gained’t be observed. Nonetheless, Ducati is already providing a whole race-ready titanium exhaust system by Akrapovič that may prevent 11 kilos and offer you an unbridled 228 horsepower with 105 dB (102db with baffle).
- Longer WSBK-derived gearbox ratios easy out the entire affair. Ducati pulled a web page from its WSBK playbook and launched the identical ratios in its full-blown race transmissions, choosing taller 1st, 2nd, and sixth gears. First is 11.6 % longer, culling among the Panigale’s rage in tight hairpin corners and extra tractable acceleration. Second gear is 5.6 % longer, making it nearer to the primary and third gears, smoothing the transition between shifts. Mixed with the stainless up/down quickshifter, banging by way of the gearbox is an absolute deal with.
- New and revised energy modes change the Panigale’s character on the flip of a change. 4 energy modes are on deck: Full, Excessive, Medium, and Low. There are additionally 4 absolutely customizable driving modes: Race A, Race B, Sport, and Road. Throttle response in every energy mode is stellar.
- There are crucial variations in how torque is delivered in every energy mode, and the progressive steps in efficiency make the package deal manageable. Low cuts peak energy to 150 horsepower, pleasantly taming the Pani in difficult circumstances. Medium and Excessive now use devoted torque mapping for every gear—tech borrowed from Ducati’s MotoGP program—and each wick it as much as suitably sporty ranges. Nevertheless, the brand new no-holds-barred Full mode unchains the V4, besides in first gear. This allows you to expertise all of its superb efficiency, although that you must carry your A-game to get probably the most out of it. Excessive mode gave me all I may have needed within the dry.
- Bosch IMU-supported rider aids are stellar.The V4 is armed to the hilt with cornering ABS (three-level), lean-angle-detecting traction management (eight-level), wheelie management (eight-level), slide management (two-level), engine braking administration (three-level), and launch management (three-level). My morning started on racing rain tires within the moist, a totally new expertise. I used to be astounded by how the Evo 3 traction management (up to date in 2020) and slide management maps allowed me to speed up with authority within the larger settings, subtly holding again energy when essential. Within the dry, TC 2 boosted my confidence by way of among the many hard-driving sections at Jerez, letting me roll the facility on with its security web to catch me. With WC at 2, whacking it extensive open onto the entrance straight allowed for a minor hover and pure drive.
- Intelligent UI updates are featured on the 2022 Panigale V4 platform. LEDs atop the sprint are far simpler to see and extra correct than a TFT display, however the huge information is the Superleggera-inspired Observe Evo interface. The brand new interface reveals you which ones rider help is being activated in real-time, highlighting when the respective system is triggered (or not), permitting you to regulate accordingly. It’s a basic change for the bike business, as one or two normal warning lights have been established order for years. Now, we are able to take a peek on the sprint to see whether or not TC, WC, or SC is holding us again, or we are able to preserve twisting the grip.
- The Öhlins suspension—semi-active NPX 25/30 fork and TTX 36 shock—and steering damper are important within the dealing with puzzle. Ducati didn’t relaxation on its laurels and recycle the outdated suspension bits with out updates. No, the improved pressurized fork has elevated journey by 0.2-inches and a lowered spring price (10n-m to 9.5n-m). This leads to boosted really feel at each cornering stage, with out giving up something within the dealing with or stability division. The suspension algorithm is claimed to be extra aggressive. It soaks up the hits, retains the Panigale on its line, and holds agency underneath braking excellently.
- Semi-active Dynamic or old-school Mounted modes can essentially change the texture. Additionally featured is the newest and best Öhlins Good EC 2.0 system, which helps you to change settings from the contact of a button. It’s a godsend in various circumstances, as dialing in additional “braking help,” “nook help,” or different parameters is intuitively represented on a visible scale. Rapidly clicking a couple of buttons and discovering a good setup is immensely environment friendly within the whirlwind environment of your common monitor day. I wanted a bit extra help from the shock in the course of the nook exit, revealing a extra pointed Panigale with each adjustment. I threw it within the Mounted mode for the ultimate session and cranked the settings additional, discovering extra grip and really feel than I knew what to do with—with out turning a wrench. These items is sweet, and I’m enthusiastic about diving into it on residence turf.
- Geometry modifications enhance the Panigale’s adept dealing with. In 2020, the V4 pilfered the much less inflexible body from the Ducati Panigale V4 R, netting improved rider suggestions. Ducati superbikes have at all times modified course with unequalled quickness. Entrance-end really feel is excellent, whether or not you’re cranked over on the sting of the tire or dropping anchor into the ultimate nook. Take a look at your apex, and the Pani V4 will type out the remainder. This 12 months, the dealing with recipe is improved by elevating the swingarm pivot level 0.2 inches, offering better anti-squat traits, and making certain large mechanical grip is ever-present. The 215 ponies attempt to tie the V4 into knots, however the Panigale retains each wheels planted.
- Brembo delivers the products as soon as once more. Unchanged for 2022 are the Brembo Stylema calipers and large 330mm rotors. Really feel on the adjustable lever is great, and energy is simply as spectacular. Within the rear, a twin-pot piston caliper and 220mm rotor have been useful in difficult moist circumstances. I also needs to level out the cornering facet of the ABS is disabled within the lowest, racetrack-oriented ABS modes. It wasn’t one thing that I thought of till placing pen to paper—I trail-braked as deep as I dared (which most likely isn’t that deep) and by no means second-guessed myself. I by no means had a problem with extra restrictive ABS modes both.
- Up to date aero and venting are within the combine for 2022. Check out the aero package deal aboard the V4, and also you’ll discover that its MotoGP-inspired winglets are wanting svelte nowadays, because of the two-element design that creates much less drag. Regardless of their smaller dimensions, they supply the identical 81 kilos of downforce at 186 mph because the earlier technology. It’s a tricky name to state their advantages in isolation, though the sooner you go, the extra poised the V4 turns into. As well as, the stomach pan options new aspect vents that promote six % extra airflow throughout the oil cooler, and even the quickshifter will get a devoted vent. Lastly, the underside has venting to extend warmth dissipation. That stated, warmth was not one thing that crossed my thoughts in temperatures that peaked at 61°F within the afternoon.
- Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa V3 tires are commonplace fitment, however we used Pirelli Diablo Superbike SC1 slicks and Diablo Rain tires. Now, the PDSV3 rubber is nothing to sneeze at—they’re a splendidly sticky sport tire able to ripping your monitor day or canyon in equal measure. We used further sticky SC1 slicks within the dry and full-blown race rain tires within the moist, mounted on the V4 S’s light-weight forged-aluminum Marchesini wheels. Having by no means used rain tires, I can say that it was a mind-blowing expertise for this native Californian who had by no means touched set a tire on a correctly moist monitor earlier than this occasion. The slicks want no introduction and supply the utmost grip.
- Revised ergonomics intention to create a kinder, gentler superbike. A real-blue superbike just isn’t simple to journey by any means attributable to paint-peeling speeds, vicious acceleration, and brutal braking forces. Nevertheless, steps might be taken to make it simpler, and that’s simply what Ducati did. The textured seat is flatter and grippier, serving to me tuck in behind the bubble and keep planted within the saddle throughout braking phases. The up to date gasoline tank, which feels flatter within the rear and sides, was instantly useful for me, creating an efficient bracing level when grabbing the binders or hanging off the bike. These modifications undoubtedly make the Panigale V4 much less fatiguing to journey, no matter your ability stage.
- Get the Prosecco prepared as a result of the 2022 Ducati Panigale V4 S is a stunner. There may be nothing that feels fairly like a superbike. Extra to the purpose, there may be nothing fairly like a Ducati superbike, and the Italian model has mastered the artwork of packaging that indomitable expertise and put it in dealerships for many years. With the stunning quantity of efficiency on faucet, it takes top-notch chassis to maintain all of that in examine. Together with the astounding digital aids and up to date ergonomics, the Panigale V4 platform has been made much more ridable, with out taming its spirit.
Images by Matteo Cavadini / Alex Photo
2022 Ducati Panigale V4 S Specs
- Sort: Desmosedici Stradale 90-degree V4 w/ counter-rotating crankshaft
- Displacement: 1103cc
- Bore x stroke: 81 x 53.5mm
- Most energy: 210 horsepower @ 12,500 rpm
- Most torque: 91 ft-lbs @ 11,000 rpm
- Compression ratio: 14.0:1
- Valvetrain: Desmodromic actuation w/ 4vpc
- Fueling: Twin injectors per cylinder
- Transmission: 6-speed w/ straight-cut gears
- Clutch: Hydraulically actuated moist multiplate w/ help and slipper features
- Last drive: 525 chain
- Body: Aluminum monocoque
- Entrance suspension; journey: V4 S: Totally adjustable semi-active Öhlins NIX25/30 pressurized 43mm fork; 4.9 inches
- Rear suspension; journey: Totally adjustable semi-active Öhlins TTX36 shock; 5.1 inches
- Wheels: 3-spoke cast aluminum
- Entrance wheel: 17 x 6.00
- Rear wheel: 17 x 3.50
- Tires: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP
- Entrance tire: 120/70 x 17
- Rear tire: 200/60x 17
- Entrance brakes: Semi-floating 330mm discs w/ Brembo Stylema M4.30 4-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 245mm disc w/ 2-piston caliper
- ABS: Bosch Cornering ABS Evo
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 57.8 inches
- Rake: 24.5 levels
- Path: 3.9 inches
- Seat peak: 33.5 inches
- Gasoline capability: 4.5 gallons
- Curb weight:431 kilos
- Coloration: Ducati Purple
2022 Ducati Panigale V4 S Worth: $29,995 MSRP
2022 Ducati Panigale V4 S Overview Photograph Gallery
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.